Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Blankets



I started doing a lot of "cleaning out" and discovered something.  I have a ton of blankets.  I need to downsize big time.  I also have decided that there is nothing like a good blanket to snuggle up with.  Two of my three kids have their "blankies" that they sleep with every night.  My little girl takes hers to daycare everyday for nap time.  My younger son has one he likes to call his "B".  This blanket has been mended more times than I can count.  See the hand stitching we tried to do so it would not rip.  I think my mother has even done some sewing on this one.




The above picture is his beloved "B".  It has firemen all over it.  My husband is a firefighter and we were given this blanket as a gift when my son was born.  He is now 7.  I know I should probably take the blanket away, but it stays in his bed and like I said, there is nothing like a good blanket to snuggle with.

I have all kinds, I have quilts as well.  There is nothing like a good quilt.  They are just not made the same anymore, not with love!!  



Sorry about the bad pic, this is my favorite.  This one was my grandmothers.  I also have a picture of my daughters "blankie" that she likes to snuggle with.




Her blanket was given to me from one of the firemen wives.  I think this is called a knot blanket.  It is made out of fleece.  It has Winnie the Pooh on it.

My oldest son, who will be 13 in April, has a new blanket that he got for Christmas.  It is a New Moon blanket like the movie.  He is a huge Twilight Saga fan.

So I have passed on my obsession of blankets to my children.  I did do some cleaning and I am giving some to Goodwill.  Here is another picture of the firefighter blanket given to my husband when he passed his firefighter test 10 years ago.  Wow has it been that long!!



I also found another quilt that I have.  This one needs a little love.  I need to add some binding to the edges.  There is just something about all the time and effort that is put into quilts that just facinates me.  Some much is done on a sewing machine, most of these were done by hand.  Hours upon hours of time! What happened to those days?  




There is also the knitted blankets too.  My mother made this one for me to put in my Hope Chest years ago.  I am sure we all have seen some of these.  



So girls look around I am sure we all have that special blanket we like to snuggle with.  This year the rave seems to be the "Snuggies", but there is nothing like a good quilt, fleece blanket or at my house "Blankie"!

Have a great week.





1 comment:

GoodPlans said...

Hammer~Thanks for stopping by my GoodPlans blog! I'm so excited to find more local bloggers. Loved the blankies post. I have several my grandmothers made that I will be passing to my daughters. It's a "warm legacy", isn't it? Blessings!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails